Thursday, August 1, 2013

Technique Twist Challenge 4: Faux Wax Seal





It's August 1st and time for another Technique Twist!  This time we are doing something very cool....Faux Wax Seal.  You may remember those wax seals used to close envelopes;  well these are Faux, don't melt and are very fun to make!  I have three different ones to show you today, and links to the tutorials that I followed for each one.

My first one uses some new products from the Seasons catalog that goes live today!  I used paper from the Winter Frost Paper Pack, along with new silver ribbon (LOVE!) and  the new Encore Silver ink pad.


For this look, I followed the tutorial here, where multiple layers of embossing powder are heated/melted, and after the 5th layer a stamp laid into the melted powder.

A couple of tips from my trial and error:
  • I had more success with smaller images;  the silver one above is 3/4"
  • At least 5 layers of embossing powder worked best for me
  • I chose a stamp just about the same size as my finished embossed piece
  • oh,,,and it will get hot!


stamps:  Christmas Messages, Merry Minis (retired)
ink:  Encore Silver, Versamark
cardstock/DSP:  Coastal Cabana, Whisper White, Brushed Silver, Winter Frost Designer Series Paper Pack
other:  Silver Embossing Powder, 3/4" circle punch, Silver 1/8" ribbon





My next sample is a bit different, instead of a card I used the faux seal technique to close a small little gift bag.  I also used a different technique with this one, opting for the Hot Glue Technique.


Here is a link to the tutorial I followed for the Hot Glue Faux Wax technique.  I used gold glitter hot glue just for fun!


Note:  since I used gold glitter hot glue I was able to skip the step in the tutorial where she paints the hot glue seal

Another hot glue tutorial where she mixes embossing powder with the hot glue.

stamps:  Positively Chevron, A Fitting Occasion (retired)
inks:  Versamark
cardstock:  Brushed Gold

other:  Gold Embossing Powder, Pool Party Embossing Powder, Gold Glitter Hot Glue Sticks, Pool Party Bakers Twine,  small brown paper bags


Last, but not least, I repeated the first technique with embossing powder.  This time, I mixed two colors of embossing powder together, Pool Party and Early Espresso.



stamps:  A Round Array, Daydream Medallions, Dictionary
inks:  Versamark, Early Espresso
cardstock:  Whisper White, Pool Party, Early Espresso
other:  Clear Embossing Powder, Pool Party Embossing Powder, Early Espresso Embossing Powder, Floral Frames Framlits, Word Window punch, Early Espresso Satin Ribbon (retired)

Phew!  
Be sure to stop by the challenge blog, along with all the Design Team Members for lots of very very cool samples!  and give it a try!  It is a very fun technique!


~ Lauri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for taking a few minutes to leave me a note!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails